WHAT IS MASSAGE?
Massage is a hands on therapy in which the soft tissue structures of the body (muscles, tendons, ligaments & fascia) are manipulated in order to improve & promote optimal health & well being. It is a physical form of treatment that focuses on relieving & getting rid of pain, tension, soreness & tightness within the muscles. The therapist uses their hands, thumbs, fingers, forearms or elbows to stroke, knead or compress the tension away & bring the body back into balance
Massage has been practiced around the world, in many different cultures throughout the ages as a form of healing. Not only does it ease & help increase flexibility & mobility, but it also effectively helps reduce the effects of stress, anxiety & depression & promotes states of deep relaxation & inner peace. It does this by reducing the levels of stress hormones such as cortical & by stimulating the release of endorphins, which are natural pain killers & help to improve & elevate your mood.
Massage stimulates blood circulation throughout the body, bringing oxygen & nutrients into the bodies tissues & assisting the lymphatic system to eliminate waste & toxins. It has so many benefits, that it not only positively effects you physically but also emotionally, mentally & energetically as well.
WHAT IS MYOTHERAPY?
Myotherapy (‘myo’ meaning ‘muscle’ in Latin) is a form of physical therapy used to assess, treat & prevent muscle pain, injury & dysfunction. It is a physical form of therapy that specializes in musculoskeletal conditions affecting movement & mobility. Founded on Western medical principles including anatomy, physiology & biomechanics, it is used to rehabilitate and maintain the integrity of the soft-tissue structures of the body (muscles, tendons, ligaments & fascia). It is the integration of a range of therapeutic techniques that make Myotherapy so effective & powerful.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN REMEDIAL MASSAGE AND MYOTHERAPY?
A Massage Therapist or Remedial Massage Therapist utilizes a range of different styles of massage in their treatments. A Myotherapist is someone who has studied Massage Therapy or Remedial Massage and has decided to do further training to enhance their skills so that they can offer more to their clients.
Myotherapy consists of a range of different techniques that help people to recover from muscle pain, injury & dysfunction. Massage is just one technique that a Myotherapist can use to help their clients. In addition to massage there are a range of other techniques that Myotherapists use. These include Cupping, Dry-Needling, Stretches and Exercises.
SYMPTOMS AND CONDITIONS
Pain or symptoms caused by muscles (myo) or fascia (soft connective tissue) is described as myofascial. Myofascial pain is usually not localized or specific, can vary in intensity and can radiate and refer to local as well as other areas of the body. There are a number of symptoms or sensations that you may be experiencing that can be effectively treated by a Remedial Massage Therapist / Myotherapist. These symptoms, feelings and sensations include the following.
- A deep ache
- Sharp shooting pain
- Muscle tightness/stiffness
- Tenderness in specific points in the muscle
- Reduced range of motion in the muscles/joints
- Weakness and unexplained fatigue
- Numbness, tingling, pins and needles
Massage Therapists & Myotherapists treat not just the symptoms but also the cause of a wide range of conditions. A lot of the time the cause is myofascial. This can be due to many things such as abnormal muscle tightness or trigger point activation in the muscles. Trigger points, also known as “knots” are tender points in the muscle that can refer pain & other symptoms to other areas of the body. They can be triggered by many different factors such as sporting/occupational injuries or trauma, overuse, disease, poor posture, lack of sleep & emotional stress.
Common conditions that a Massage Therapist / Myotherapist can effectively treat include:
- Head/Neck/Shoulder Pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Sports/Overuse Injuries
- Occupational Injuries
- Postural Abnormalities
- Muscle/Ligament Sprains/Strains
- Stress/Tension Related Muscle Pain
- General Muscle Soreness/Tightness
… and more specifically :
- Headaches/Migraines/Wry Neck/Whiplash
- T.M.J Disorder/Clicking of the jaw
- Rotator Cuff Tear/Frozen Shoulder
- Tennis/Golfers Elbow
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- S.I.J Dysfunction
- Acute/Chronic Back Pain
- Disc Bulge/Sciatica
- Hip/Pelvic/Knee Pain
- ITB Friction Syndrome
- Shin Splints/Cramps
- Plantar Fasciitis/Foot Pain
- Ankle Ligament Sprain
- Pregnancy – Pre/Post Natal Complaints
BENEFITS OF MASSAGE
Massage & Myotherapy is so amazingly effective, that it can pretty much benefit people from all walks of life. Not only does it help you on a physical level, but also on an emotional, mental & energetic level. All the bodies systems functions are improved. Pain, stress & tension melts away & you are left feeling completely relaxed & rejuvenated, ready to take on the world. Below is a list of the many benefits Massage & Myotherapy have to offer.
- Relieves muscle, pain, soreness & tightness
- Increases flexibility and range of motion
- Relaxes, soothes & re-energizes tired and aching muscles
- Prevents unnecessary strains & injuries due to excessive muscle tension
- Stimulates the nervous system to help reduce muscle atrophy
- Supports the connective tissue and muscles to become strong and healthy
- Improves functioning of the bodies systems including the nervous system, circulatory system, respiratory system, endocrine system, digestive system & lymphatic system
- Compensates for lack of exercise due to age/injury/illness
- Improves circulation, oxygen & nutrition to cells
- Assists in the detoxification of the body from toxins and wastes
- Improves skin and muscle tone
- Aids quicker recovery from injuries/illness
- Speeds up the bodies natural healing process
- Decreases levels of Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Reduces stress hormones
- Decreases the effects of Fatigue and Insomnia
- Promotes restful sleep
- Reduces blood pressure & heart rate
- Releases deep-seated suppressed emotions
- Slows down the aging process
- Strengthens the immune system
- Enhances mental ability
- Increases endorphins and elevates mood
- Enhances ability to think and concentrate
- Increases energy levels & productivity
- Produces a greater feeling of well-being
- Completely relaxes, refreshes & rejuvenates your mind, body & soul
Latest posts by Tim Zyphin (see all)
- Divine Love – Light Language Activation And Blessing - March 7, 2017
- 2017 Divine Mother Divine Father Shamanic Light Language Blessing - January 13, 2017
- December Solstice 2016 Light Language Activation - December 21, 2016